A few months ago I decided it was time to get a library card again. And since then...
1. I read a lot more.
It’s only May and I’ve already read nearly as many books as I did ALL LAST YEAR. I also have fewer reading slumps because I am motivated by the fact that I need to turn my library books back in.
2. I take more chances.
I read books I might not have otherwise read. Like “oh this one looks cute & creepy- let’s try it.”
|The Ghost of Crutchfield Hall|
This is easier with library books cuz if I don't like it, it's not a big deal. I just return it.
3. It’s changed the way I buy books.
I’m not going to lie- I haven’t reduced my book spending too much since I’ve gotten my library card… >.>
BUT the way I shop for books is different. Before, when I would buy books I would go back & forth:
Did I want to buy an old favourite that I didn’t own yet?
Or did I want to buy a new book I hadn’t read before?
Now I can focus on collecting books I really want to OWN.
And I don’t have as many books that I regret buying.
|playing around w/ fun lettering a lot lately :)|
4. I’ve made a significant dent in my TBR.
Like Percy Jackson! I have The Last Olympian checked out right now. :) I had been meaning to read this series for years but I wasn’t sure I wanted to commit to buying a new series.
(Of course, now I know that I want to buy every single thing Rick Riordan writes but hey.. )
5. I have real life conversations about books!
I talk to people online about books all the time...
goodreads, facebook reading groups, my blog, book tube etc. But in real life? not so much..
(okay, well I do still talk about books but it’s more like me ranting about how Morpheus is WAY better than Jeb while people’s eyes glaze over…)
HOWEVER, since I’ve gotten a library card:
- I talk to the librarians about books I’m checking out.
- I talk to people who notice that I’m frequently lugging a giant stack of library books around town…
- I talk to my little nieces who now love going to the library w/ me and have discovered that one person, Mercer Mayer, wrote a lot of their fav books.
So who else has a library card?